“Communicating with your Legislator” Roundtable
How to find your legislator: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/
- Make an appointment to talk to your legislator
- Get to know them BEFORE you have a need to discuss a specific issue
- Articulate to them who you are and what you do
- Keep them informed of your challenges in providing service to their constituents
- Get over the awkwardness. Let them know you are there to educate them on the issues, even if they are outwardly opposed to your issue. Be a partner with them. We are all public servants.
- Know the message.
- Listen to your legislator, don’t dominate the conversation. Don’t just “get through your talking points”
- Speak of the effect on the diverse counties statewide, not just your county or one particular group of counties.
- Follow up with your legislator as your issue progresses.
- Thank them for their time and MEAN IT. Don’t get angry if you can’t come to an agreement.
Business Meeting Items
- Executive Council Report – Holly Wayt
- November 2011 Meeting Minutes
- February 2012 Financial Report
- Ohio 9-1-1 Council Wireless Report to the General Assembly
- Narrowbanding – Only 313 Days Left!
- D Block Approved by Congress
- April 10th – Free Training Session in Columbus
- April 11th – Ohio Gold Star Awards – Columbus
- May 9th – Next chapter membership meeting